Local and National CCTV Strategies…
Today’s CCTV Strategies are for system automation and systems integration. For the best situational awareness, the most advanced surveillance cameras are needed to work hand-in-hand with leading remote surveillance monitoring services. This results in the best of both worlds, where intelligent automation interplays with human vigilance. For the complete ground truth, this partnership optimizes the key human element of security. Not depending on it to detect and capture incidents and index its evidence, but for incidents to be reported in sufficient detail to be dealt with in the most rapid and effective way. Your security personnel have more time to react and make the key decisions for responding.
24/7/365 Constantly Vigilant Security Control
Crucially, the better the camera can also give the customer better situational awareness and control over more types of security threat, development and outcome. Security staff can be confident of early security alarms and can be well primed to intervene and warn off a suspect or, at a moment of their choosing, to apprehend the perpetrator, whilst collecting high-quality video evidence to secure a conviction.
Rapid Crime Clear-up
Once the security breach is confirmed and the response alarm is raised by remote monitoring services, the relevant local authorities will be given information that somebody has entered the area. They can also be shown a detailed description of who is committing the incident, where the suspect can be located, where else they have been throughout the site and what else they have been doing.
If the suspects are apprehended during the incident – even if they were wearing hoods or any type of facial mask, the detailed forensic video information of their particular clothing (brand logos, material, etc), usually encourages a confession. Even if suspects escape the scene, this detailed video evidence is proven to help authorities investigate, recognise, identify and convict.
The CCTV and surveillance industry-standard deterrent and automated security and situational awareness
This camera is capable of multitasking with many video analytics systems operating at the same time delivering results for several applications. Installed, maintained and supported as plug-and-play with modular hardware configuration meeting any remote site’s security coverage and surveillance requirements. Bridging the very large gaps between, and solving the many intrinsic problems with, standalone CCTV security systems, manned surveillance services and manned guarding security patrols. It would take 6 x constantly manned “next best” PTZ camera installations to monitor the same area as 1 x Viseum IMC Camera. Viseum will deliver better results automatically costing significantly less capex and at least 6 x less opex each year.
CCTV Industry Problems
CCTV Camera Installations
There are numerous common obstacles in delivering conventional CCTV surveillance cameras as part of a safety campaign, to provide any given area with the security it needs. Lack of street furniture in suitable locations, lengthy civil works to run cables for communications and power, and concerns over privacy, are just a few barriers.
CCTV Camera Monitoring
Until now CCTV surveillance and security in complex and challenging environments, has always been the most technically problematic to deliver, and this puts the greatest strain on resources to support. Each year, security organisations throughout the world waste millions of dollars, and many thousands of man-hours, attempting to find just a few seconds of crucial video evidence, from days, or months, of recorded video. The vast majority of these efforts result, daily, in lengthy reports on why the CCTV evidence was not available or could not be used. This is usually because the incident was too far from a working CCTV camera, or was missed completely because the camera was pointing in the wrong direction.
Results from Legacy CCTV Systems
Criminals commit their offence within just a few carefully planned seconds, and are already making their escape before security staff notice. This means that even if the criminals are apprehended, on many occasions they cannot be brought to justice due to the lack of CCTV video evidence. The event will be classified as unsolved and the value of a client’s security infrastructure can be openly seen as worthless.
Other CCTV Technologies
CCTV security and surveillance professionals have not been able to solve these long-standing problems. The world’s current technology solutions have proven unsophisticated – providing the human operator with “information overload” and often absolute saturation of “false positives”.
UK Government’s Latest National CCTV Strategy
Viseum UK is the only CCTV Technology provider in the world to successfully meet the UK Government’s latest National CCTV Strategy Recommendations. This report sought Viseum’s patented innovation to overcome the many long-standing and widely recognized problems with both new and legacy CCTV systems. “Viseum UK surpassed these recommendations in both specification and innovation.”
Patent Regulated Multitasking CCTV Camera
What this means for our customers is the Viseum camera delivers holistic benefits for multi-agency compatibility. Example – each Viseum camera installation can remain being used for its primary task such as automated traffic management, but can also be used at the same time for other functions such as securing the city and creating additional revenue streams, such as automatically managing road contraventions.
UK Home Office National CCTV Strategy Recommendations and Key Viseum UK Supported Recommendations:
FIT FOR SEVERAL PURPOSES
There is also a conflict between the proactive and post-incident investigation use of CCTV. Town centre operators use the cameras proactively to search for suspicious behaviour, certain types of activity, or in response to intelligence or ongoing incidents communicated to them by police or other parties. This real-time proactive use of the cameras is at the heart of the UK CCTV operator’s role. Unfortunately, this often frustrates investigators reviewing UK CCTV. If the operator did not capture an incident intentionally, or the nearby cameras with distant shots are unable to provide secondary evidence/intelligence, then this potentially publicly undermines the entire security system.
CCTV cameras are increasingly being used for potentially conﬂicting roles, which results in them becoming less effective for crime and disorder purposes. Until a viable technical solution is found, consideration should be given to supplementing existing Pan, Tilt and Zoom (PTZ) cameras with ﬁxed cameras capable of continually providing good quality images for post-investigation use, and if and when they are justiﬁed, dedicated cameras installed for non-crime detection use, thus allowing the original PTZ Cameras to be used for their original proactive surveillance use.
Recommendation Summary; Establish technical requirements that will allow CCTV cameras to be used for multiple purposes.
The current installed camera base of Pan, Tilt and Zoom camera technology cannot be used by a variety of users for different purposes simultaneously. Therefore, there is a need to establish the technical requirements and possible technological advancements that would allow multiple purpose use whilst maintaining ﬁtness for purpose but also reducing the cost.
How Viseum 360-Degree Cameras Support this UK CCTV Strategy Recommendation:
- The fixed wide-view cameras of the multiple camera unit provide the ability to automatically look for certain actions in selected areas, and provide the CCTV operator with the ability to look for other activity in other areas.
- The operator could use either wide-view or PTZ Camera to look for event(s) reported currently taking place. Once the operator is following the event with the PTZ, they can also watch the wide-view images to see what else they may be missing in the whole area.
- A bogus incident may be reported and although the PTZ Camera may have been used at that time for something else (and therefore “appearing” to not capture evidence in the vicinity of this event), the fixed wide-view cameras can still be used to provide contextual evidence, proving if the incident may or may not have occurred.
- Evidence from the fixed wide-view cameras can be used to provide contextual information of an incident of what was happening in the whole area at the time of the event as well as before and after it, e.g. of how many witnesses there may have been or where the suspect(s) came from and left to.
- The auto-tracking PTZ Camera software driver of the 360-degree camera system holds all the coordinates of where the PTZ has pointed and where activity has occurred. A “Smart Search” capability can be used to significantly reduce post video interrogation time to locate evidence only in specific areas where close-up and or wide-view contextual evidence is required.
- The automation of the 360-degree camera system can provide cost-effective surveillance for certain environments and applications. E.g. certain environments can benefit from automated surveillance in standalone mode, reducing or eliminating staffing and communications costs.
- The fixed and PTZ Cameras are deployed as a single unit which means that installation costs, cabling, power and networking infrastructure are minimised. Maintenance costs are reduced due to ease of access to a single site.
Recommendation Summary; Create an effective funding stream for public space UK CCTV.
Income generation by the system itself; use of CCTV in a variety of ways from traffic, bus lane, and bylaw enforcement to alarm monitoring, lone worker monitoring and electronic patrolling of retail and business parks, where the system is self-funding. The concern here is that cameras and/or the CCTV operators will be increasingly used for these purposes, detracting from the use of cameras for crime prevention and law enforcement. This last point is an increasing worry from a police perspective.
How Viseum 360-Degree Cameras Support this UK CCTV Strategy Recommendation:
- The 360-degree camera system’s automated discipline can support certain revenue-generating activities. This can free up the operator in order to focus on crime prevention and law enforcement as originally intended e.g. with bus lane enforcement, the car can be immediately detected and the PTZ automatically moved to follow it without any distraction. Used in conjunction with ANPR this revenue-generating activity can be optimized and completely automated.
- At any time the CCTV operator or the Viseum IMC camera’s automation can override the revenue-generating activities to use the PTZ Camera for crime prevention and law enforcement, or vice versa depending on the Authority’s policy.
- The 360-degree camera automation can be prioritized for crime prevention and law enforcement and focus on revenue-generating activities as a secondary, or vice versa depending on the Authority’s policy.
Viseum IMCs are not just the most advanced PTZ Cameras with the latest zoom and camera sensors, but are also the security industry’s step-change advance in how fixed contextual view cameras and PTZ camera technology improve automated and manned CCTV Security and Surveillance Techniques. It is the 360-degree camera technology meeting the UK CCTV Strategy Recommendations by delivering: wide-area long-range coverage, multiple camera views of each incident, active deterrence, automated detection and following of incidents, provision of high-quality evidence and multi-agency compatibility.
Downloads for UK CCTV Strategy:
- Safe Cities Business Case – This presents our Unique Financial Selling Points which help our customers secure their budgets for ongoing purchase.
- Intelligent CCTV Viseum iVOS – Explains the many problems with CCTV and what Viseum Product Solutions can do for the customer and the benefits of how they operate.
- Safe City Safe Cities – Viseum’s most successful presentation.
This is a 300+ MB file very successful in helping generate and win citywide security projects.
Note – If Windows PowerPoint file does not play – ‘right-click’ the Windows file, go to file properties, then click “Unblock” security setting on the General tab.
- Panoramic Security Camera HD PTZ Model – One of Viseum’s most popular IMC cameras.
- Viseum Safe City Report – Many examples of how too much risk is being taken with all other types of CCTV system.
- Safe Cities Viseum – Explains how Viseum IMC Cameras solve crime and disorder for city communities.
- UK CCTV Viseum Strategy Recommendations – Printable version of this page.